- Joint agreement between the region’s three leading health care providers expands and enhances long-standing educational, clinical and research affiliation.
- CHI St. Luke’s Health and Baylor College of Medicine will open a new acute-care, open-staff hospital on BCM’s McNair Campus in central area of the Texas Medical Center.
- Plans include a significant 10-year investment in the renowned Texas Heart Institute, dramatically expanding education and research into cardiovascular diseases.
- Leveraging BCM’s NCI-designated cancer center, the new hospital will include a comprehensive cancer center. Plans also call for community cancer centers across the region.
- Additionally, CHI will invest more than $1 billion in the region’s health care infrastructure over the next five years.
- Affiliation agreements fulfill the promise made by CHI leaders when the Episcopal Diocese of Texas transferred St. Luke’s Episcopal Health System to CHI in April 2013.
- The new hospital will be named CHI St. Luke’s Health/Baylor St. Luke’s Medical Center, eventually replacing the existing, 850-bed St. Luke’s Medical Center hospital.
- The first phase of the project—a 250-bed inpatient facility—is expected to open by spring 2015. The second phase, adding up to 400 additional acute-care beds, is expected to be completed in 2018.
Common Vision: Clinical & Operational Excellence, Research and Education
“These agreements will bring to bear new capabilities and resources in an alliance that doesn’t exist anywhere else in the region. This is a clinical, educational and research-focused enterprise that we think will be capable of creating miracles.”
– Kevin Lofton, CHI President & CEO
- Academic affiliation agreement includes a wide array of cooperative educational and research initiatives.
- The affiliation agreement significantly expands St. Luke’s historic research affiliation with THI and enhances local research collaboration between CHI, THI and other cardiovascular research partners on the TMC campus. The new state-of-the-art cardiovascular center will transform regenerative medicine and the development of next-generation medical devices.
- Agreements leverage CHI’s large and diverse patient base for clinical data and expands CHI’s national clinical research capabilities through a streamlined, standardized research infrastructure.