Alegent Health, Omaha, NE, was named a finalist for the 2009 Foster G. McGaw Prize in recognition of its broad-based efforts to improve the lives of the most vulnerable members of its community. Alegent Health was recognized for several innovative community service initiatives:
- Live Well Omaha – Convenes local health systems, social service agencies and insurers to promote awareness of health issues and provide a forum for collaborative strategies to address community health needs.
- OneWorld Community Health Center – This Federally Qualified Community Health Center, in partnership with the Indian Chicano Health Center, is committed to quality care for uninsured, low-income, non-English-speaking persons in South Omaha.
- Domestic Violence Coordinating Council – Brings together law enforcement, service providers and domestic violence victim representatives to ensure consistent policies and procedures for responding to domestic violence victims throughout the community.
- Faith Community Nursing Network – Nurses are trained to work in partnership with religiously diverse communities to educate, advocate and motivate people to take positive action regarding wellness, prevention, appropriate treatment of illnesses, and social and spiritual connections with God, their congregations and communities.
- Integrated School Mental Health – In partnership with Clarkson College and the Institute of Heartmath, this program works with local schools to meet the unmet mental health needs of students and teachers in some of Omaha’s poorest neighborhoods.
“Our selection as a finalist for the Foster McGaw Prize is a tribute to Alegent Health’s years of servant leadership to create healthier communities in the greater Omaha area,” said Beth Llewellyn, vice president of mission integration for Alegent Health. “We celebrate this honor with our staff and with the partners featured in our application.” The Foster G. McGaw Prize for Excellence in Community Service is sponsored by The Baxter International Foundation, the Cardinal Health Foundation, the American Hospital Association and Health Research & Educational Trust. As a finalist, Alegent Health will receive $10,000. For more information, contact Jodi Hoatson, email@example.com.