Mercy Celebrates 100th Anniversary
Jeanita Richter, RSM, spoke about the history of the Sisters of Mercy at the open house celebrating the 100th anniversary of Mercy Medical Center, Roseburg, OR.
Mercy Medical Center, Roseburg, OR, marked its 100th anniversary with an open house for the entire community. The original Mercy Hospital was dedicated on February 22, 1909, just six months after Father William McGee of St. Joseph’s Church announced his plans to build a hospital with the Sisters of Mercy. The sisters had arrived in Roseburg earlier that year to run the new St. Joseph School. Roseburg’s citizens donated the entire $12,000 needed to build the facility. Through the years, the facility has been moved and rebuilt; has grown in size, employee count and breadth of specialty coverage; and has been an integral part of the culture of Douglas County.