July/August 2007

Mercy in Durango Celebrates 125 Years of Caring for the Community


07-07Durango-time-capsule

Joanne Spina, chair of the Board of Directors of Mercy Regional Medical Center, carefully opened a time capsule found in the cornerstone of a wing added to Mercy Hospital in 1952.

More than 100 people gathered at Mercy Regional Medical Center, Durango, Colo., on June 30 to celebrate the hospital’s 125th anniversary. The highlight of the day was the opening of a time capsule recovered from the cornerstone of a patient wing added to Mercy Hospital in 1952. The 55-year-old capsule contained religious medals, a written history of the hospital, a list of building project donors, a fundraising campaign brochure, newspapers, photos of the physicians and the Sisters of Mercy who worked at the hospital, and other small treasures. Some of the items will be sealed in a new time capsule to be placed at the hospital in September, and some may be displayed on the medical center’s Wall of History. For more information, contact David Bruzzese of Mercy at davidbruzzese@mercydurango.org.