Catholic Health Initiatives’ advocacy staff has created a Web-based directory of market-based initiatives designed to address domestic violence. The directory, along with a list of market-based leaders who work with domestic violence issues, is available through the Catholic Health Initiatives public folders.
"Reduction of violence in our society is on our list of priority advocacy issues, and addressing domestic violence is a key component," said Marcia Desmond, director of public policy for Catholic Health Initiatives. "We’ve heard from market-based leaders that they want to be able to network and share information on domestic violence issues. To begin to meet that need, we are making the information they provide available through the public folders."
The domestic violence area of the public folders currently includes information on initiatives at the following market-based organizations and facilities:
"Our Lady of the Way Hospital offers community education on domestic and family violence issues," said Desmond.
"St. John’s Regional Medical Center has a violence committee that meets quarterly to address how the organization can improve its response to domestic violence issues, and St. Joseph Medical Center maintains a ‘safe haven’ room for people who need protection from their abusers. These are just some of the ways that market-based organizations are going beyond emergency room screening and referral to play a very active role in reducing domestic violence."
Market-based leaders who have information to add to the domestic violence directory should contact Marcia Desmond at email@example.com.
- Alegent Health, Omaha, Neb.
- Holy Rosary Medical Center, Ontario, Ore.
- Mercy Medical Center, Des Moines, Iowa
- Mercy Medical Center, Roseburg, Ore.
- Mercy Medical Center, Williston, N.D.
- Our Lady of the Way Hospital, Martin, Ky.
- Saint Joseph Hospital, Lexington, Ky.
- St. Anthony Hospital, Pendleton, Ore.
- St. Catherine Hospital, Garden City, Kan.
- St. Gabriel’s Hospital, Little Falls, Minn.
- St. John’s Regional Medical Center, Joplin, Mo.
- St. Joseph Medical Center, Reading, Pa.
- St. Joseph’s Area Health Services, Park Rapids, Minn.
- St. Mary-Corwin Medical Center, Pueblo, Colo.