The Board of Stewardship Trustees has endorsed the advocacy priorities for 2003—2004 recommended by the Advocacy Advisory Committee of Catholic Health Initiatives. While the committee identified more than two dozen important advocacy issues, they selected the following priorities for the highest level of advocacy activity:
Regarding these highest priority issues, the committee envisions that Catholic Health Initiatives will:
- Preserve and Expand Health Care Access and Coverage
- Workforce Strengthening
- Children’s Health
- Fair Payment to Providers
"Our advocacy activities will not necessarily be limited to the identified issues," said Colleen Scanlon, senior vice president of advocacy for Catholic Health Initiatives. "The advocacy agenda will continue to be shaped by the interface of contemporary and changing political, social, cultural and health care realities. Our continuing involvement in advocacy gives us the opportunity to shape future directions in health and social policy as well as respond to current initiatives."
For more information on Catholic Health Initiatives’ advocacy agenda, contact Colleen Scanlon at firstname.lastname@example.org.
- Take a leadership role.
- Extensively involve market-based organizations.
- Seek out or develop legislative, regulatory and community-based vehicles for action.
- Build coalitions.
- Influence the agendas of the Catholic Health Association, American Hospital Association, state associations and other concerned groups.