CHI St. Joseph Health, Bryan, TX, is celebrating its 80th birthday and the 100th anniversary of its foundresses, the Sisters of St. Francis of Sylvania, Ohio. What began as a small hospital in 1936 has grown into the regional health system that CHI St. Joseph Health is today, with five hospitals, two long-term care facilities, more than 30 clinics and a physician network of 265 providers.
In 1936, the sisters purchased the 25-bed Bryan Hospital, which had recently closed after 20 years of service. The sisters renamed it Saint Joseph Hospital in honor of one of the patron saints of the sick and dying.
Some of CHI St. Joseph Health’s medical firsts in the region include the first CT scanner, the first open-heart surgery suite and cardiac catheterization laboratory, mammography, outpatient surgery, a dedicated sleep laboratory, cancer center, rehabilitation center and freestanding emergency room. Through the years, the sisters also expanded the health system’s geographic footprint with the purchase of hospitals and the creation of clinics in surrounding rural areas.
In November 2014, the Sisters of St. Francis transferred sponsorship of St. Joseph Health System to CHI, continuing its Catholic heritage and the legacy of the sisters.